You may not realise it, but machine learning is intertwined in our lives in multiple ways. From assigning a name to a photographed face (which is also known as tagging on social media) to predicting the weather, machine learning has some incredible applications in real life. So, what about its impact on education? Does it make things easier for students and teachers?
China implemented AI and machine learning in education. And the achievements were something like this:
- Students wear uniforms embedded with trackers. These trackers keep them safe as long as they are on the school territory.
- There are classroom robots that keep a check on the students’ health level.
- Students wear a headband that determines their concentration level.
Even MarketWatch revealed a report last year that showed machine learning would drive noteworthy investment in education by 2030. Giant-sized companies such as IBM and Google are also getting involved in combining education and machine learning.
All in all, machine learning has a crucial role to play in education. Here are the top five ways machine learning enhances the education system.
- Personalised & customised learning
Education is not about staring at a textbook while your professors distribute notes in the class. Had it been the case, colleges wouldn’t have faced serious challenges such as disengaged students and high dropout rates. Every student is different. With a personalised and customised learning experience, each student gets a unique educational approach completely tailored to her/his individual needs. That means students can make their own decisions about what to learn, when to learn and how to learn. They can choose a customised academic curriculum as per their interests.
Machine learning can help teachers and professors use algorithms to learn how a student consumes information. It makes the learning pace of each student clear to the professors. Thus, you can encourage your students to move ahead only after they have grasped the previous lessons. This ensures that no student is left behind amid this cut-throat competition.
The benefits of personalised & customised learning:
- The traditional educational system focuses on a one-size-fits-all approach. Customised & personalised learning, on the contrary, lets teachers monitor each student individually.
- You can help your students work on the areas where they are deficient. For instance, let’s say you find that a student finds it hard to understand the ‘Thermodynamics’ chapter in Physics. Instead of forcing the kid to move on to the next chapter, you help her get the hang of Thermodynamics first.
- You can focus on helping the students acquire proper knowledge in their subject areas. They may not have to opt for online assignment help since they will have enough time to get the hang of the chapters taught to them.
- Most importantly, it leads to a respectful student-teacher relationship. Even parents can collaborate with teachers to help students achieve academic success at their own pace.
- Precise and Unbiased Grading
Unbiased grading is one of the most severe problems in schools and colleges. With artificial intelligence and machine learning looming around the corner, it’s time to bid adieu to be biased or inaccurate grading systems. Now, the mood of your teachers won’t affect your scores. Manual grading is time-consuming and often requires two people’s intervention. Machine learning and AI can grade bulk assignments within a short span of time without teachers’ involvement or moods.
The key attributes of an automatic AI-based paper grader:
- Automatic paper grades are powered by machine learning and AI. This tool absorbs new information and updates itself. It scans human-grade papers to make sure its grading process doesn’t get outmoded.
- The software also consists of an optical character recognition facility that helps the tool grade both essays and research papers with the utmost precision.
- AI paper grader has the ability to grade academic papers in multiple languages.
A student has to encounter thousands of exams throughout her academic life. There are entrance examinations for different courses and national-level examinations that follow a specific pattern of questions. The AI-powered paper grader takes care of the grading process for all the papers and too within a few seconds. You can also eliminate the possibility of manipulating the results through external interferences. You can focus on teaching the kids instead of grading tons of academic papers every semester.
- Predictable career paths for each student
As per expert assignment help providers, students are often confused when it comes to picking a career path for themselves after or during graduation. Machine learning and AI have brought forth a solution to this problem as well. A team of researchers from Occidental College in California have developed a model based on machine learning. This model will consider each student’s decision related to college commitment. Finally, it will provide them with a list of colleges that perfectly match the student’s academic interests and performance.
This machine learning prediction model intends to analyse the skills, interests and abilities of each student. It also gathers relevant data from the student’s college application, tests, essays and teacher recommendations to predict her weak and strong points. This technology will help kids understand what they are good at and what areas they might have trouble in the future. Students needn’t have to waste time listening to innumerable advice coming from nagging neighbours or relatives.
- Hassle-free monitoring of students’ progress
A teacher can’t keep track of 30 students’ progress in the class. Thus, some may be left behind while others struggle with different lessons without the teacher knowing anything about it. Teachers can now use machines to monitor each student individually and evaluate their learning progress. You can also understand the specific learning pattern of each child. This will help you determine the right way of teaching the students.
Here are the four main learning styles you can adopt to help out students:
- Visual learners
If your students are able to synthesise and internalise information via a graphic depiction of the lessons, then they might be visual learners. They may respond to different visualisations of information such as arrows, charts and diagrams.
- Auditory learners
These are the ones who are able to process information better when it’s presented to them vocally. These students often do not write notes in the class because that might break their auditory attention. They may also find success while studying in a group where they can discuss class notes vocally with their study mates.
- Reading or writing learners.
Students who are able to understand, process and retain information while reading or writing it falls in this category. So, you may have to encourage your students to read a certain piece and then write it down so that they can recall it later.
It will be easier for you to pick the right learning style once you notice the academic progress. For instance, let’s say a student ‘A’ shows an improved performance after adopting the visual learning style. So, you must stick to that approach to ensure that ‘A’ is not left behind or performs poorly only because she has a different learning preference.
Machine learning is the best way to understand each student’s learning preferences, academic strengths and weaknesses and interests. You can use software or tools based on machine learning to gather in-depth insights about your students. It makes both teachers and students comfortable with education. No student is overlooked. Their grades will no longer depend on your moods. Most importantly, you can customise the academic curriculum for each student as per her/his interests and learning pace. You can recognise the potential of all your students and give them a chance to do better throughout their academic lives.