Protein, a well known macronutrient for muscle building and development. But protein benefit covers some more aspects, including muscle and tissue repairing, hormone growth, healthy skin, shiny hair, and many more. A right amount of protein can help you to improve overall bodily functions. Not many people know that their regular meal is lacking protein. Though there are many protein sources available naturally, many people are facing a tough time to fill the protein gap from meals. So, many people are becoming more interested in incorporating protein powder supplements into their daily routine. People make mistakes by sticking to supplements only for their protein intake and avoid natural sources of protein. This article exposes the benefits, natural sources, and best supplements of protein.
Benefits of protein:
Protein has several health benefits, here are some of the most common.
- Aids in weight loss
- Improves mental ability
- Good for bone health
- Reduces cravings
- Boost metabolism
- Increase muscle mass and strength
- Improves blood pressure
Natural protein sources:
This is not like we are devoid of protein rich meals. But lacking the knowledge makes us prioritize other sources. Here are some natural sources of protein.
- Eggs especially the white part
- Nuts and seeds like chia, pumpkin seeds, flax
- Chicken especially the breast part
- Oats and Muesli
- Milk, cheese, and other dairy product
- Greek yogurt
- Fish like tuna, merkel, sardines, and others
- Peas, soya, lentils, chickpeas, gram, and other pulses
Best Protein Powders
You can get a wide range of protein supplements in the market but everyone is up upto mark. Here are some protein powders you should consider before making a purchase.
- Whey protein: A protein powder that is made from milk in the cheese making process. It consists of all the nutrients that milk has. Though it is in powder form, it is easy to carry and can be taken after months. It is a great source of protein and many bodybuilders use it for achieving their fitness goals.
- Isolate: One of the best protein powders that bodybuilders take to increase the protein intake for faster muscle recovery. Isolate comes from whey protein, just by extracting all nutrients other than protein from whey.
- Casein: It is a protein found in milk other than whey. It is slow digesting but consists of all the nutrients which whey has. Consuming casein before going to bed is quite beneficial.
- Plant protein: Soy is one of the best plant protein powders. It is very good for those people who are lactose intolerant. But soy has high concentrations of phytate which is an anti-nutrient. So, it may have issues like unabsorbed nutrients. Other than that, peas protein is a good source of plant protein and good for vegans and less risks of indigestion.
For an average man, 56 gram protein is needed on a daily basis whereas for an average woman 46 grams protein is needed. But it varies as per their physical activities, age, and medical condition. Consult with your doctor while choosing any protein powder supplement. Without proper exercise and healthy habits, protein will only make you fat. So, stay physically active for improved results.