If you’re looking for a way to earn money through Uber or some other famous driving app, you’ve probably heard of PCO vehicle hiring. What should taxi drivers understand about PCO car rental? What are the benefits and drawbacks? Where do you even begin?
What precisely is a PCO permit?
The first thing to understand is that PCO is an abbreviation for Public Carriage Office. This is a division of Transport for London (TfL). In layman’s terms, a PCO licence is a paperwork that allows you to operate for Uber or other ride-sharing service in London. It’s important to understand that the official title is Private Hire Driver License. The majority of people, though, will regard to it as a PCO licence.
What exactly is a PCO vehicle?
A PCO vehicle is a four-door minivan or car that meets all of TfL’s personal transport standards. These vehicles will also have a current licence for Private Hire Vehicle. Similarly, a PHV licence is the same as a PCO licence, only it is for your car. This will serve as documentation that TfL has authorized your vehicle for private rental use in the city based on their criteria.
Is PCO required for Uber?
Any ride-sharing business in London, including Uber, requires a valid PCO licence.
Who is capable of applying for a PCO licence?
You will be able to apply for it if you have had a valid UK driver’s licence for at least three years and have the permission to work in the UK. Other documentation will also be required before you begin the application process. Luckily, these can be obtained in a short period of time.
How long is the validity of a PCO licence?
A PCO licence typically has a three-year validity period.
PCO vehicle rental needs
To receive a PHV licence, your car must comply with the following requirements:
- A Euro 6 diesel or petrol engine, or even a Euro 4 hybrid-petrol engine, is required.
- Four doors which can be opened separately are required.
- Be in excellent condition with no cosmetic flaws
- There should be no commercial marking on the car.
It’s important to understand that you don’t have to own the car you utilize for cheap PCO insurance UK. The most important thing to remember is that the vehicle has a valid PHV licence and a hiring and reward insurance policy.
The benefits and drawbacks of PCO car rental
It’s not always easy to maintain your vehicle and all of its documentation up to date. This administrative task will take a significant amount of effort and time on your behalf. As a result, many drivers would prefer concentrate on their real work than on the financial side of things.
This is when PCO car rental comes in handy. It provides drivers with the added assurance that their vehicle is always prepared for the next duty. Your vehicle will be member of the PCO fleet, that will be handled by a professional team who will keep everything up to date.
Many consumers falsely think that on-demand Drivers for Uber utilise their personal cabs for these ride-sharing apps. Although this is an option, most people will opt to rent a private hire automobile. The following are the benefits and drawbacks of PCO car rental:
- Minimum commitment – You will have the choice to change your decision and return the vehicle for better terms.
- Everything is included – You will receive a PHV licence, the essential insurance plan, and most regular maintenance will be paid by the agreement, letting you to focus on passenger transportation.
- You will never own the car; but, you may be able to ‘rent to buy’ and still enjoy the same benefits. You will be able to pay weekly payments for ownership as a result of this.
- There is a limited selection of car manufacturers, models, and colours to choose from.
- Based on who the supplier is, the age of a vehicle may vary.