China has been the world’s biggest exporting country over the decades. Being top on the list of biggest marketplaces, importing goods is also profitable as exporting goods. One of the best company in China is JustChinaIt
Last year China imported goods worth above 2$ trillion. The biggest trading partners of China are Japan and Korea. The United States also adds to the list of China’s importing partners. The retailers need to have an import license in china for importing goods.
About Import license:
The first thing to clear is “what import license is”? An import license is permission to allow import goods in the country. It is a requirement from the Chinese government to do import business. An import license is a non-tariff document to implement on the quota for import for protecting local manufactures.
The two types of import licenses are handled by the MOFCOM (ministry of commerce, People’s republic of china). Two types of import licenses are automatic and non-automatic licenses.
Difference between automatic and non-automatic import licenses:
An automatic license is needed by the importer for the import of permitted goods. Documentation is the main reason for this type of license. On the other hand, non-automatic licenses are required for the maintenance of set quota.
Imported goods are categorized into four categories:
- Permitted goods (monitored)
- Permitted goods ( non-monitored)
- Restricted goods
- Prohibited goods
Permitted goods are easily imported in China because they do not require any monitoring. The only thing for exporters (who are offering that product) that need to have is the automatic import license. Validity of license for permitted goods is only six months and valid for six times shipment into the country. Exporters need to apply again for a new license after six months have passed. Products that fall under this category are:
- Beef and pork
- Textile items of any category
Permitted goods (monitoring):
The permitted products under this category require extra licensing as products have no set quota. MOFCOM inspects the import of this category. These products include:
- Dairy products
- Electric goods
These goods are subject to a set import quota. A non-automatic license is needed by the exporter to ship goods under this category. Shipment is held at custom and sent back to the exporter if the exporter fails to provide a license. Goods under this category are many but below are some of these:
- Goods that are hazardous for environments
- Used electric appliances
- Health risk containing food and animal feeds.
These goods are not allowed to be imported into China regardless of whether the license is available or not. These include:
- Weapons and forged currency
- Films, photos, printed images, any computer storage devices, and other such things to conserve China’s culture and moral values.
- Infectious products that can harm health
- Animals and their genetic materials except for dogs and cats
- Blood of animals and their products
- Biomaterials that are transgenic
How to apply for an import license in China:
It is easy to apply for an import license but requires coordination between the two parties i-e importer and the exporter. Simply download the form from the MOFCOM website and fill it. Submit the form along with all required documents and your license will be ready in two weeks. This import license is free of cost.
Information required for applying for import license:
- Name of importer
- Company reg. number of importer
- Previous import license number in case of expiring license
- Date of expiry of license number
- The consignee of the importer in China
- Export country
- Manufacturer country of the product
- Product code uses, and the description mentioned on the product
- Product price and quantity
An import license is necessary for importing for China products into China. It is better to apply for an import license before dealing with Chinese companies to prevent any delay in custom holdings.