Most modern users are well aware of the best practices for Internet security and personal data protection. These rules are pretty simple – you have to use a malware protection application, set different and hard-to-guess passwords for your accounts and devices, avoid sharing personal data on social media and be careful with public Wi-Fi. In addition, there are some other tips for secure web browsing on Mac and Windows, and we will share them in this article.
Top 6 Tips for Safer Web Browsing on Mac And Windows
How to make a web browsing process safe? Here are the basic tips you should follow.
1. Update the Operating System
Upgrading your operating system is the first step to solving security issues. As practice shows, most users ignore new updates. For some of them, dealing with the technical side of the issue can really become a challenge, so in this case, it is better to apply for online consultation from Howly experts and get professional assistance when updating, installing, or reinstalling your operating system.
In any case, don’t ignore the updates. The matter is that each of the new OS versions usually comes with better security features, in response to the growing number of hacking attempts across the industries. Therefore, skipping the recommended update is a potential risk for both Mac and Windows users.
2. Update All Browsers
If you want to use the Internet safely, without any risks, it is a good idea to keep all your browsers up to date. This is important for both Mac and Windows users because it allows you to avoid all security vulnerabilities. Each update is an opportunity to get the best and safest online experience. So it is worth updating the browsers along with updating the operating system.
3. Check Saved Passwords
Most users save passwords, credit card information, and bank details on their gadgets. Unfortunately, what seems convenient to us from the user’s point of view can become a real threat, as this data may easily get into the hands of cyber fraudsters. It is recommended to turn your attention to Advanced Identity Protector if you use multiple browsers. This tool will help analyze the security of all your browsers.
Also, don’t ignore security alerts that you can get via email if you have a Google account and use Chrome for web browsing. After following the link in the letter, you can discover what accounts and passwords are at risk so that you can quickly change them. And keep the golden rule in mind – never use the same passwords for all your accounts and create safe passwords that include random letters, symbols, and numbers.
4. Use VPN Tools
VPN is what you need for a safe pastime on the Internet. Many Mac users believe that the company offers the best protection. However, the more users began to use the company’s products, the more often hackers began to attack the Mac. Therefore, the preferred protection option is to use a full-fledged VPN application.
With a VPN app, you can completely protect your device, including your browser traffic. But this rule works not only with Mac but also with Windows too. Therefore, it is worth taking care to choose the right tools. Here are a few apps that are worth your attention:
- It comes with powerful security features to keep you safe while surfing the web. The app promises ultra high speed and covers over 160 servers in 94 countries.
- CyberGhost is a huge server network with high speeds and servers optimized for easy access to streaming platforms and torrenting. The service offers a solid 45-day money-back guarantee, so you can try it out for free.
- This free VPN provides unlimited data transfer, so you can surf the web and watch videos for as long as you want, but the company has slow speeds and a small selection of servers.
5. Use Two-Factor Authentication
Using various instant messengers and email on your Mac is a routine for every person. But you should not forget about the security of your personal data when using social networks and email. That’s why it is recommended to use two-factor authentication.
Why use the two-factor authentication feature if it’s your personal computer? The reason is that hackers and various malicious software can hack into your email and messengers. Authentication allows you to minimize the risk of being hacked every time and ensure the safe use of social networks and email.
Unfortunately, even all these tips together can’t promise 100% security protection on the world web. That’s why you should be careful and keep the issue of security in mind each time you access the website or app. Below are some simple rules to follow.
- Never download the apps from third-party websites. Use only those solutions that are officially published in App Store and Google Play Market since, in this case, the app developers already ensured in-app safety.
- Follow the email links carefully. Phishing is the oldest type of online scam, and it still works. So, pay attention to the link you receive – usually, there is only a one-letter difference between an official website name and a phishing one. Don’t follow suspicious links you can get via instant messengers as well.
- Be careful when using public Wi-Fi. In this case, use VPN and avoid crucial operations, like accessing mobile banking or using work-related apps.
- Avoid sharing personal data on social media. Do you know why hacking is on the rise? One of the reasons is that the users share their personal data on social media so that their names, phone numbers, dates of birth, and even pet names can be used for automatic suggesting of the passwords and hacking their mobile banking apps. So, stay private.
As you can see, it is easy to create a safe web browsing process if you are a Mac or Windows user. Do it once and follow the life-proven data safety practices. So, try out these easy tips and keep calm while net surfing.