From childhood, we have been listening that pain is part of an individual’s life. Whenever I suffer from body pain, I find this statement correct. American Academy of pain medicine gives a report in 2010 which states that Physical body pain affects more than 100 million adults in the U.S each year.
Shoulder and back pain are common among all, affecting the neck, arms, and shoulder blades. If the pain is uncontrolled and continuous, it affects different aspects of your life. It leads to emotional distress, mood deregulations, decreasing physical capacity, and influencing social and vocational domains.
Moreover, you may have come across different remedies and medicines. But at last, we know that swallowing that big-size pills is easy and has long-term side effects. Now do not worry, because we will provide you easy exercise which will help you in relieving pain.
In this article, we will discuss some easy exercises to relieve shoulder pain and lower back pain.
Exercises for Shoulder Pain
If you are experiencing pain in the shoulders, neck, and arms, try exercises. Physical therapy exercises for shoulder pain reduce inflammation and increase flexibility and range of motion.
Your physical therapist will recommend the best exercises that will target a specific area. Physical therapy exercises for shoulder pain include doorway stretch, neck release, chest expansion, and seat twists. Try some of the most effective exercises to relieve shoulder pain and tightness.
Following are some of the very effective exercises for you if you are also suffering from shoulder pain.
- Stand straight and hold some object like a towel, bottle, or band in both hands.
- Move your hands backward while broadening your chest.
- Try to move your shoulder blades toward each other.
- Also, lift your head toward the ceiling.
- Hold this position for some seconds and repeat it about 4-5 times.
- With this exercise, you can increase flexibility in your shoulders.
- Sit in a chair while putting your hands on your knees.
- Bring your left hand towards your right thigh and move your head backward slowly.
- Hold this position for some time and repeat this step 4-5 times on each side.
- Place a chair and stand with your right hand placing it on the back of the chair.
- Move your left hand freely, like hanging down in a circular position.
- Do it five times and repeat the same for another hand.
- Repeat the same exercise 3-4 times each day.
- Sit on the mat straight.
- Place your hands straight and Cross over your finger.
- Now bend your elbows and place your hands on your head on behind your head.
- Slowly squeeze shoulders bands together while moving elbows back.
- Repeat this 5-6 times every day.
Exercises For Lower Back Pain
Exercise strengthens and helps in the prevention of lower back pain. Also, it increases blood flow in the lower back ear resulting in speedy recovery. Let’s discuss some easy exercises for lower back pain that will also maximize flexibility in the legs, core, and arms muscles.
Knee to chest Stretch:
- Lie on the mat while back straight and knees bend.
- Place feet straight on the floor.
- Move the right knees toward the chest with the help of both hands.
- Hold this position for 4 seconds.
- Keep abdominals tight and press your spine into the floor.
- Now release your hands and knees slowly to starting position.
- Repeat same for the left knee.
- Repeat the same steps 4-5 times every day.
The second exercise is pelvic tilts which will help in releasing the tight back.
- To begin with, lie with your back on the ground.
- Now bend both knees straight while placing left hand on the chest and the right hand on belly.
- Push the chest area out while arcing the back.
- Hold this position for six seconds and relax.
- Also, pull the belly button in and hold for some time.
- Now relax and repeat the same for about 3-4 times every day.
Lateral Leg Lifts:
- Lie straight on the ground.
- Position yourself while lying on one side laterally.
- Bend the lower leg slightly and push the belly button inward towards the spine while engaging core muscles.
- Raise and extend the other leg up straight.
- Hold this position for some time, and then relax.
- Repeat it 4-5 times for another leg also.
- Do it every day.
- Lie straight on the floor with the back.
- Hold a towel with both hands.
- Bend right knee.
- Move the left leg upward straight and place the towel on foot.
- Keep your leg straight and pull back the towel slowly.
- Keep this stretching position for 20 seconds and repeat for another leg.
- Do these exercises everyday 4-5 times.
Bridges are helpful for back pain. It includes stretching or legs, thighs, hips that support the lower back.
- Lie on the floor while bending your knees.
- Place the feet straight on the floor.
- Keep the hips apart while arms by the side are straight.
- Raise the buttocks above the ground.
- Keep the body in a straight line while squeezing the buttocks and the shoulder should remain on the floor.
- Lower the buttocks to the ground while relaxing for some time.
- Repeat the same for 4-5 times every day.
In short, pain is curable and preventable with physical therapy exercises for shoulder pain and lower back pain. Follow the above routine regularly. It will help you feel better even after relieving the pain. We also have discussed different exercises to relieve shoulder pain. Moreover, these exercises will stretch sore shoulder muscles and improving flexibility.
Light recovery exercises for lower back pain make you feel good and help to pump more blood with force. Consult your physical therapist if the pain lasts for a longer time. Indeed exercise helps us to remain fit throughout life and slow down the process of aging. Obviously, in the end, we all want to stay young and fit even in old age.