The Indian Space Research Organization is popularly known as ISRO and is the official space agency of the Government of India. ISRO is headquartered in Bengaluru and is one of the very prestigious organizations for engineers of different fields to work in. ISRO has a vision for harnessing space technology for national development while pursuing planetary exploration and science research.
With a total of 32 centres spread across India, each year ISRO entrance exam is being conducted for which candidates are invited from Electrical, Civil, Electronics, Mechanical, Architecture and Refrigeration & Air Conditioning and Computer Science streams. The degrees that are eligible for applying for a Scientist Engineer in ISRO are B.Tech, B.E., B.Sc. (Engineering), B.Sc. + B.Tech/B.E. (Lateral Entry), Part-time B.Tech/B.E degree and AMIE degree.
The ISRO Centralized Recruitment Board (ICRB) of the Department of Space & Indian Space Research Organization ISRO conducts a very elaborate recruitment drive for ISRO. The ISRO Scientist Engineer recruitment is being done to fill in all the vacancies in different departments of ISRO at its following centres:
- Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre (LPSC)
- Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC)
- Antrix Corporation Limited
- Department of Space and ISRP HQ
- Master Control Facility (MCF)
- Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS)
- Development & Educational Communication Unit (DECU)
- Laboratory for Electro-Optics Systems (LEOS)
- ISRO Inertial Systems Unit (IISU)
- ISRO Telemetry, Tracking & Command Network (ISTRAC)
- Space Applications Centre (SAC)
- ISRO Propulsion Complex (IRRC)
- ISRO Satellite Centre (ISAC)
- Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) SHAR
The Eligibility and Technical Skills Required to Work as a Scientist Engineer at ISRO
Age Requirements applicable for ISRO Scientist Engineer of any stream:
- The ISRO requirement age-wise is that the applicant should be of a maximum of 35 years at the time of application.
- The maximum age limit for the SC/ST candidates is fixed to be 40 years.
- The maximum age limit in the case of OBC candidates is 38 years.
- The ST/SC as well as OBC candidates apart from the age relaxation are also valid to be employed under the fixed number of seats reserved for these categories.
- Special preference and relaxation are also given to Persons with Disabilities (PwD) and Ex-Servicemen as per the orders of the Government of India.
Educational qualifications required for applying for Scientist Engineer at ISRO
ISRO necessarily requires graduates in the fields of Electrical. Civil, Mechanical, Architecture, Computer Science, Electronics, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration streams. Accordingly, the required educational qualifications for the candidates are as follows:
- Every candidate who is willing to apply must necessarily be qualified B.Tech/B.E. or any other equivalent qualifying degree in first class with an aggregate minimum of 65% marks or a minimum of 6.84 on an overall scale of 10.
- The candidates in the final year of qualifying degree are eligible for applying if their final graduation degree will be available before the final results and they secure an aggregate of 65% marks or CGPA of 6.84 (an average of all semesters for which the results are announced)
- Those candidates who have done a diploma followed by B.Tech/B.E. (Lateral Entry) are also eligible to apply if they have passed their degree with an aggregate minimum of 65% marks or CGPA of 6.84 on a total scale of 10.
- AMIR candidates can also potentially apply to ISRO but special conditions are being specified for these candidates. So, AMIE candidates wishing to apply must check if they are eligible before they apply.
- All those candidates who have passed M.Tech/M.E. with B.Tech are eligible to apply provided their B. Tech marks are as per the eligibility that is specified above.
- All the candidates who have passed M.Tech/M.E after completing B.Tech are also eligible to apply provided their B. Tech marks meet the eligibility parameters.
- All those candidates who have successfully completed an integrated course of B.Tech/B.E and M.Tech/M.E. are also eligible for the ISRO entrance examination. These candidates must necessarily produce their graduation certificate for B.E/B.Tech separately in first class with an aggregate minimum of 65% marks or CGPA of 6.84 on a total scale of 10.
- Candidates who have done part-time B.Tech/B.E through correspondence courses are not eligible to apply for the ISRO examination.
- The qualification that is mentioned above and the set benchmark is the only minimum requirement & fulfilling the same does not guarantee to make the candidates eligible for the ISRO Written Test.
- The candidates who apply for the architect’s post will have to produce the Certificate of Registration for having registered with the Council of Architecture, at the time of the interview. If she/he fails to do so, then they would not be allowed for the interview.
What are the technical skills required for different departments of scientist engineers at ISRO?
- Civil Engineer at ISRO – Building materials, transportation engineering, surveying, hydraulics, soil mechanics, estimating, irrigation engineering, costing, environmental engineering, valuation, theory of structures, structural engineering, steel design, RCC design, concrete technology etc.
- Electrical Engineer at ISRO – Basic concepts, AC Fundamentals, Circuit Law, Basic Electronics, Electrical Machines, Measuring instruments, magnetic circuit, synchronous machines, transmission, distribution, generation, costing, estimation, electrical energy and utilization.
- Air Conditioning and refrigeration engineers at ISRO – Advanced Thermodynamics, Applied Mathematics, Design of Refrigeration Systems, Design of Air Conditioning systems, Computer Simulation of Air Conditioning Systems and Refrigeration, Instrumentation for the Thermal Systems, Design of Cooling Towers and Condensers Evaporators.
- Architecture engineers at ISRO – The Architecture engineers of ISRO are required to be thorough with the curriculum taught to them in B.Arch.
- Mechanical engineers at ISRO – They are required to design and analyze the satellite structures and related mechanical components, design and analyze the mechanisms of spacecraft mechanisms, structural dynamics etc.
- Instrumentation engineers at ISRO – The installation, commissioning, maintenance and operation of Environmental Test Systems for the subsystem and spacecraft testing. The maintenance and operation of high speed specialized acquisition of data and control systems.
- Industrial engineers – The industrial engineers are responsible for Resource Management, Personnel and Financial Management functions, Project Management and Systems Engineering.
Leave a Reply